The Net Zero Tracker is the world’s only open-source independent review of the quantity and quality of net zero targets across countries, regions, cities and companies. Our database includes:
- UNFCCC member states and selected self-governing territories
- states and regions in the 25 largest-emitting countries
- every city with a population above 500,000
- all companies listed in the Forbes Global 2000 list.
We put together publicly available information about entities' net zero targets in a consistent and comparable way to allow the quality of targets to be compared and evaluated by a range of stakeholders, including campaigners, journalists, investors, ESG specialists, policymakers and the public at large.
It shines a light on the existence (or lack there of) of pledges and parameters of integrity — for example, whether an entity has:
- set interim targets
- published a plan outlining how it will reach net zero
- committed to report its progress annually
- is clear about the scopes of emissions contained in its target, and planned use of offsets.
In September 2023 Net Zero Tracker consortium partner Data-Driven EnviroLab teamed up with technology start-up Arboretica to develop ChatNetZero.
ChatNetZero is the world’s first net-zero policy and action chatbot powered by large language models (LLMs) and provides a potent fact-checking and anti-greenwashing tool. It is trained on narrowly-focused, expert-vetted data found on the Net Zero Tracker.