As growing climate change impacts are experienced across the globe, the message that greenhouse gas emissions must fall is unambiguous. The world needs system-wide, fair, and equal transformations to decarbonize high-emitting sectors and bridge the emissions gap. Against the backdrop of the main findings of UNEP’s Emissions Gap Report 2023, this side event had a special focus on discussions on just energy transition in low- and middle-income countries and the potential synergies and trade-offs in jointly pursuing development and decarbonization agendas. The expert panel contextualized the discussion and explored South Africa’s efforts, making links to similar synergies and opportunities for other emerging economies.
- Moderator: Niklas Höhne, NewClimate Institute
- Anne Olhoff, Senior International Advisor, CONCITO
- Neil Cole, Presidency of the Republic of South Africa – JETP Project Management Unit
- Jinsum Lim, International Energy Agency
- Greg Muttitt, Lead Author of the EGR 2023, International Institute for Sustainable Development
- Yacob Mulugetta, Lead Author of the EGR 2023, University College London
- Fatima Denton, Contributing author of the EGR 2023, United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa