Communications specialist (editing / writing) (R-2306) (d/f/m)
Start date: As soon as possible. Full time – 40 hours per week.
Location: Cologne (preferred) or Berlin
Deadline: 08 October 2023
NewClimate Institute is seeking a person to strengthen the communications team, with a focus on written outputs. The objective is to further improve the clarity of the message in our reports and other outputs through increased quality of structures and language.
- Translating complex information of our outputs into concise, clear and understandable texts for a variety of target audiences
- Drafting summaries and press releases based on our reports
- Editing and proof reading of written outputs
- Guiding the general writing process and writing style in the organisation, supporting staff to improve their writing
- Giving inputs to the strategic direction of communications for individual projects and NewClimate as a whole
- Closely collaborating with the other members of the communications team including graphic design and communications specialist
- Supporting other written outputs, such as newsletters, blog posts, social media channels, presentations with a focus on language and messaging
- Supporting social media activities and the maintenance of our websites
This position comes with an attractive package of salary and other benefits including 30 days of paid holiday, a public transport pass (“Deutschlandticket”), and support for a private pension scheme. The general German benefits scheme includes health insurance and social security. In certain cases, NewClimate Institute can also provide administrative support for visa applications for non-EU nationals.
You should be highly motivated and passionate about action against climate change, decarbonisation policies and sustainable development, and enthusiastic about communicating those complex topics and making them accessible to a wider audience. We are looking for somebody who is:
- Motivated to work in a small, evolving institute and be part of a multi-disciplinary, international team
- Keen to work in an international atmosphere with partners from around the globe
- Self-sufficient, independent and eager to learn
- Interested in a dynamic, impact-oriented team-work atmosphere
- Enthusiastic about writing on climate policy
- Combination of writing experience and knowledge in the field
- Excellent communication skills with diverse sets of audiences particularly through written outputs, but also verbal communication
- University degree in a related field (e.g. climate science, climate and development, energy science) or similar qualifications through long-term professional experience in the field and experience in writing/editing, or
- University degree in journalism or language and experience in writing on climate change / energy / sustainable development
- Knowledge of international and national climate change mitigation policy and the nexus of climate and development
- Full proficiency in English (native speaker level, spoken and written) required. Other languages (German, Spanish, French, Chinese) are an advantage.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook etc.).
- Familiarity with social media management tools, Mailchimp and website content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Drupal, Wagtail) is a plus.
NewClimate Institute draws strength from its diverse team. We welcome applications regardless of a candidate’s ethnic and social origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, care responsibilities or age. We particularly encourage applicants from the Global South.
NewClimate Institute supports climate action research and implementation around the world, focused on climate change mitigation. We are a dynamic and diverse team of researchers and policy advisors with extensive experience in supporting international climate negotiations and associated national and international decision-making processes. Through our policy-oriented research and capacity building we help policy makers, regulatory bodies, development finance institutions, investors, international organisations, NGOs and other actors to develop and implement solutions to the global climate change challenge. NewClimate Institute’s key motivating values are to maximise impact, in a creative and fun working environment with a positive team spirit built on openness, trust, and inclusiveness.
If you are interested, we look forward to receiving your CV along with a short cover letter, university transcripts and examples of previous work. Please do not include a photograph in your application. Please send the application via email to @email. Please include the reference number “R-2306” in the email subject and make sure to send all relevant information and files in a single pdf-document with a maximum size of 10 MB.